Our National Birth NetworkWe are a part of a national organization called Birth Network National. The mission of BirthNetwork National is to promote the awareness and availability of Mother-Friendly maternity care. BirthNetwork National is leading a grassroots movement based on the belief that birth can profoundly affect our physical, mental and spiritual well-being. BirthNetwork National advocates Mother-Friendly care, as defined by the Coalition for Improving Maternity Services' Mother-Friendly Child-birth Initiative (MFCI). By making informed choices and having confidence in the process, families can experience safe and satisfying childbirth.
Our Local Birth NetworkSELABN aims to improve health outcomes and the quality of life of pregnant women and babies in Southeast Louisiana by:
- Building a supported and educated net-work of people who work with & advo-cate for women and their families through pregnancy, birth, and new par-enting
- Educating ALL women of ALL of their pregnancy, birth, and parenting options
- Awareness-building among clients and caregivers of Mother-Friendly maternity care
- Increasing Access to quality care, re-sources, and information for marginal-ized women in our community
- Including in our network those lay peo-ple, service providers and organizations that are not traditionally included in the perinatal health organizations
We advocate for Mother-Friendly Care as defined by CIMS.
CIMS is a coalition of individuals and national organizations with the mission of promoting a well-ness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs. The philosophical cornerstones of Mother-Friendly Care are:
- Normalcy of pregnancy & birth
- Do Not Harm
To learn more, visit the CIMS web-site at: www.motherfriendly.org
Click Here to download the The Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative (MFCI), the CIMS document that defines the ten steps of Mother-Friendly care. A must-read for all childbirth professionals, advocates and families.